Wednesday, December 18, 2013

B-E-A-UUUtiful


I decided to find a quote to get me through the day today and came across a nice, supposedly Irish, saying: "Many a sudden change takes place on an unlikely day." For some reason, it seemed to fit what I was hoping would happen today.  

The job I have is ok; it's sort of giving me the money to pay bills and my co-workers aren't too bad. My hours completely suck though, working a full-time job getting about 32 hours a week wasn't what I had in mind...I was working that many hours at my part-time jobs in high school and college.  Basically due to that reason, I've started job searching again. I keep thinking to myself "Why did I waste my time going to college for four years when I can't even land a job that requires a degree?" It's what I grew up being told I was supposed to do, so I did it. And now look at me, complaining about jobs on my blog...pathetic.

Anyway, it surprised me yesterday afternoon when I received an email asking for an interview after I sent my resume just a few hours before. I needed that quote to hope that by some miracle, things were going to work out today. I'm not usually a pessimist, but I haven't been all that optimistic lately.

With my luck, (I knew it was bad...I didn't even win the famous mega millions this morning), I went to the interview, arrived early and everything, just to find out it was being held at a Temp agency. Bum to the errrr. The entire "interview" was finished 6 minutes after it was supposed to start and I was on my way. All they wanted to do was tell me how to fix my resume, what tests I needed to take...oh! and that the job I was applying for had been filled by a girl the day before I sent my resume...grrrrr.

So what was I supposed to do now? Usually, I go home and eat chocolate until I feel so fat that I hate myself for not working out and eating better like I should. But I didn't do that today. I drove back towards home and walked into another business to see if they were hiring. They were, but of course I needed a certification to work there. A second strike!  Still in my interview clothes, I decided for try number 3: I drove across the street to another business and asked if they were hiring...they were! I had to go online (because who takes paper resumes in person anymore?) and find the position I wanted to apply for, then email my resume. 

For some reason, even though I know that isn't guaranteed a job, I felt better after that. Maybe it was because my stomach wasn't filled of horrible yummness, or that I didn't give up after the interview and got more use out of my uncomfortable suit, but I felt like something had happened. I kept trekking on and realized that just because I can't get jobs as easy as I could when they were part-time jobs B.C. (before college), doesn't mean I should stop and wallow in self-pity after each failed interview.

I hope all of you remember that as well. Whether it's looking for a job, a place to live, a car, a significant other, a school...whatever, just be yourself and don't give up. There's something out there for you, but you have to find it. It's not going to fall from the sky into your lap one day...though I do have my speculations seeing as how only 2 people won the entire lottery (jeeze!).  Anyway, keep on trekkin'! Life is, as Jim Carey would say, "B-E-A-uuutiful!"

Till next time
KNG :)

No comments:

Post a Comment